Wednesday, May 05, 2010

It's Getting Better

Here is an e-mail I sent to my husband today:
I told G last night we would be wearing our aids today of most of the day, just taking breaks if we were in the car. So far she wore them from 8:30 until noon with only one 15 min. break. She took them out a couple of times at home this morning but I put them right back in and she accepted that. It is so funny because she will only take them out in my presence. She would never be sneaky about it which is one of the great things about G. When we got in the car after story time she heard and ambulance and decided to keep them in for the 5 min. drive to playgroup, but only if her window was rolled down. Two things she said this morning, one funny, one a little sad:
She told me she didn't want to go to school tomorrow and when I asked her why she said "Because none of my friends noticed my hearing aids." I will have to take her Oliver book tomorrow and see if the teacher will read it and show off her hearing aids.
She also was complaining during her car ride break that she didn't want to put them back in and said "I wish I had ears like you and Darby." Kind of broke my heart a little.

After nap we put them back in and she wore them for another couple hours and then took a car break. When we got home she put them in for maybe a half hour before we took them out so she could talk on the phone. I gave up after that. She had been a real trooper all day and I didn't want to push my luck. The little red spot she was getting is less red lately and I think she knows they help because at night when I give her the option to wear them while we read books she wants them in.

It is hard as a mom to do something you know your kid doesn't like. No mom wants to have to do that all day, especially when I am hoping for a positive association with the hearing aids. She is a precious little girl and I love her more and more every day if that is even possible.

1 comment:

Nanue said...

You all have taken this journey with Georgia and have embraced it and are making it the best possible situation.
So very proud.
Love, Nanue